This sounds weird, it tastes great. My mom made this every thanksgiving and Christmas. I lost the recipe, then found something similar and added the ingredients that mom had in her salad. To me its comfort food and a walk down memory lane.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes lime Jell-O gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pineapple juice (reserved)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups 7-Up soda
- Dissolve Jello in boiling water.
- Add 7-up and cool until partially set.
- Add crushed pineapple, saving juice for topping.
- Add miniature marshmallows and cottage cheese.
- Place mixture in a 13x9 in.
- pan and refrigerate.
- For topping: Mix sugar and corn starch.
- Add pineapple juice and beaten egg.
- Mix well and cook until thickened.
- Mix cool whip into cooled topping mixture, add nuts and mix well.
- Spread over top of jello mixture.