a rice cooked with coconut milk and served with anchovies, nuts, cucumbers, a chili paste knowan as sambal and a choice of curries
- Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Rice 3 cups
- Coconut milk 1/2 cups
- Water 3 cup
- Pandan leaves, cleaned and knotted 4
- Ingredients A - for sweet chilli paste
- Dried chillies, softened in water and pounded finely 50g
- Shallots 50g
- Shrimp paste 1 tsp
- Ingredients B
- Sugar 2 tbsp
- Tamarind, soaked in 4tbsp water, squeezed and strained 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sweet chilli paste
- Heat 8 tbsp oil in a wok and fry chilli paste till fragrant. Add Ingredient B and continue to cook till paste thickens. Cool and serve with coconut rice.
- Coconut rice
- 1. Wash the rice and drain.
- 2. Mix coconut milk with 3 cups of water and 1 tsp salt.
- 3. Add coconut milk and pandan leaves to rice, cover and cook. When rice is almost dry, lower the heat. Let rice stand over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold with fried peanuts, crispy anchovies, cucumber slices, omelette and sweet chilli paste.