Servs: 20 Prep: Cook:
"Make your own corn dogs just like at the fair with this rich buttermilk corn batter."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- add 2 pounds hot dogs
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- add wooden sticks
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- add 1 egg, beaten
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1/4 cup white sugar
- add 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- add 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- add 1 quart oil for deep frying
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in melted bacon drippings. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, buttermilk, and baking soda. Mix until everything is smooth and well blended.
- Pat the hot dogs dry with paper towels so that the batter will stick. Insert wooden sticks into the ends. Dip the hot dogs in the batter one at a time, shaking off the excess. Deep fry a few at a time in the hot oil until they are as brown as you like them. Drain on paper towels or serve on paper plates.