Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup
Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
"I have made this for many whom have given it the title. This takes a bit of effort but is well worth it. Please note: for those who do not wish to use bacon, substitute 1/4 cup melted butter for the bacon grease and continue with the recipe. (I generally serve this soup as a special treat as it is not recommended for people counting calories.)"
- add 4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
- add 3 cloves garlic, minced
- add salt and pepper to taste
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- add 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- add 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- add 1 onion, chopped
- add 1 pound bacon, chopped
- add 1 cup heavy cream
- add 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- add 2 stalks celery, diced
- add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- In the bacon grease remaining in the pan, saute the celery and onion until onion begins to turn clear. Add the garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.