One of Dad's favorite when Grandma Mary made these for Sunday breakfast. We served our with applebutter to dip or syrup -Aebleskiver: Dansk for "Apple Slices" are also pancakes and are so light and fluffy and really yum...they are just like large donut holes...fun stuff. This is made with an aebleskiver pan its a specialty and found online- Dont be afraid, its easy to use and men love this dish
- add 2 apples, peeled, cored, pared, and chopped into pieces
- add 2 Tbsp. butter (little more for buttering)
- add 2 tsp. cinnamon
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 Tbsp. sugar
- add 2 cups flour
- add 1 tsp. baking powder
- add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- add ** Remember to butter the pans well
- Place aebleskiver pan over med burner and heat till the butter starts to bubble while it is heating have your ingrients ready to go.
- In a saute pan, stir apple pieces (approx 1/2") in 2 Tbsp. butter it should be soft but still a little firm. Sprinkle with 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cardamon mixture
- The eggs will be separated and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir egg yolks and sugar together until creamy. Add the flour and baking powder; gradually stir it into buttermilk, alternating with each 1/2-cup addition, into egg mixture. Now fold your beaten egg whites into the yolk batter.
- Reduce heat under aebleskiver pan to medium. Place 1/8 tsp. butter into each cup to grease, using a pastry brush to coat surface generously.
- Batter will now be spooned into the pan's cups, filling half-way (about 1 tsp.). Place an apple chunk on batter, then spoon enough additional batter over apple to cover and fill it up to the top. Allow to cook until the edges of each, large donut hole, slightly brown and pull away from the sides of the cups.
- Lightly run a knife or you can use a knitting needle or chopstick around the edge of each donut type ball to loosen, and then flip over to cook through (about 2 minutes).
- Remove the aebleskiver to a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.
- Read more about our family on my blog page and join me on Twitter @MissBusyBiz