Servs: 36 Prep: Cook:
"An old German family favorite. Meringue cookies made with almonds and spiced with cinnamon and lemon. A must for every Christmas!"
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- add 3 egg whites
- add 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- add 11 ounces ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar and keep whipping until the egg whites can hold a stiff peak, this will take about 5 minutes. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the egg whites. Add the lemon zest and cinnamon to the rest of the meringue, and fold in the almonds until everything is evenly blended.
- Drop mounds by spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Top each cookie with a smaller dollop of the reserved meringue.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove cookies from the baking sheets to cool on wire racks.