Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"Field editor Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas notes, 'In spring, I frequently make this tangy biscuit-topped treat.'"
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 cup milk
- add 1/4 cup cold butter
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- add 6 cups chopped rhubarb
- add TOPPING:
- add 1/2 cup water
- add 1 cup sugar, divided
- add 2 tablespoons sugar
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- add 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- add 1 egg
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar and water to a boil. Add the rhubarb. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Combine flour and remaining sugar; stir into rhubarb mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in butter and almonds. Reduce heat to low; stir occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Pour hot rhubarb mixture into a 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Drop topping into six mounds over the rhubarb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.