Oh - I just love, love, LOVE this recipe! They are so easy, have a divine almond taste and fantastic texture. The amount of extract may seem surprising, but let me assure you it works perfectly in these chewy, sweet bars. Yield is approx.
- add slivered almonds
- add 1 tablespoon almond extract (yes, that's right!)
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 pinch salt
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 1 1/4 cups flour
- add 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter and then add sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add extract.
- Add flour and salt, mixing well.
- Pour batter into a large cast-iron skillet (9-11") that has been lined with foil.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely and remove foil.