Servs: 10 Prep: Cook:
"Amazingly Wonderful Almond Chicken Casserole! My grandmother made this for me, and I could not believe how wonderful it was. It is very rich and filling. It would be great for potlucks, or family reunions."
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 2 cups cooked rice
- add 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- add 1 cup sliced almonds
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- add 2 cups chopped celery
- add 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- add 1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- add 1 (10.5 ounce) can water or chicken broth
- add 4 cups cooked diced chicken
- add 1 small onion, chopped
- add 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- add 2 cups water chestnuts, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large pan over medium heat, stir together cream of chicken soup and water (or broth). Stir in chicken, chestnuts, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Stir in celery, onion, salt, and rice. Combine well, then pour into a casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour in crushed crackers, and stir to coat with butter. Pour crackers over the top of casserole. Then sprinkle almonds and shredded cheese over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.