Servs: 12 Prep: Cook:
"It's taken me several years to perfect this recipe. Now everyone asks, 'When are you making the eggnog?!!' This uses cooked eggs for safety, and you can use more or less rum to taste. It's a bit of work to make, but well worth it. You'll never buy store-bought eggnog again! Enjoy!"
- add 4 cups light cream
- add 12 egg yolks
- add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 2 1/2 cups light rum
- add 5 whole cloves
- add 4 cups milk
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.