Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
"Making this lasagna a day ahead and refrigerating overnight allows the spices to meld, and gives it exceptional flavor."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- add 12 dry lasagna noodles
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- add 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- add 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- add 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- add 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- add 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- add 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- add 2 cloves garlic, minced
- add 2 eggs, beaten
- add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- add 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- add 1 onion, chopped
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic; drain fat. Mix in basil, oregano, brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Lay noodles flat on towels, and blot dry.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover noodles with 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.