Ancho Tortilla Soup
Servs: 5 Prep: Cook:
"Ancho chiles are dried Poblano chiles, the most widely used dried chile in Mexico. The Ancho is dark reddish-brown with an earthy, sweet flavor and mild heat level. Ancho Chile Pepper from McCormick® Gourmet Collection® is an easy to use ground form...just the inspiration you need to create this classic tortilla soup."
- add 1 cup chopped onion
- add 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Garlic Powder
- add 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken broth
- add chopped avocado, sprinkled with lemon juice (optional)
- add 6 (6 inch) white corn tortillas, halved, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- add 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- add 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ancho Chile Pepper
- add 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Cumin
- add 2 McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Bay Leaves
- add shredded Monterey Jack cheese(optional)
- add 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Lightly coat large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread tortilla strips on baking sheet; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp and golden, stirring after 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in ancho pepper, garlic, cumin and bay leaves; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Thicken soup, if desired. Place a few tortilla strips and a small amount of chicken in each serving bowl; add soup. Top with avocado, cheese, additional tortilla strips and cilantro, if desired.
- To thicken soup: Allow soup to cool slightly. Add to blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return soup to saucepan and heat just before serving.