Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
At the first sign of color on the tree leaves, I head for the market to look for pie apples. This is a great one to satisfy the annua craving. Well worth the effort.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add Crust
- add 2 cups unbleached flour
- add 3/4 tsp salt
- add 1/8 tsp sugar
- add 1-1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut in small pcs
- add 3 tbs chilled vegetable shortening (Crisco or such)
- add 4 tbs (or more) ice water
- add 2 tsp fresh or bottled lemon juice
- add Filling
- add 1 tbs butter
- add 2-1/2 lbs. tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- add 1/3 cup dried currants
- add 1/4 cu sugar
- add 3 tbs apple brandy
- add Topping
- add 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- add 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- add 3 tbs chilled unsalted butter, cut in small pcs
- add Assembly
- add 1 tsp whipping cream
- Make the crust first.
- Combine all ingredients except water and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until it begins to be mixed. Add water and lemon juice bit at the time. When you have a nice workable dough, remove and make into 2 balls. Flatten one into a disk, and the other into a square. Wrap in plastic and chill for a few hours or overnight.
- Combine flour, brown sugar and walnuts in medium bowl. Add butter and rub mixture with fingertips (or mix with a pastry blender) until moist clumps form. Cover and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- For the filling.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Mix in currants; cover and cook until apples are tender, about 6 minutes. Uncover, cook until liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and brandy. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 375. Roll out dough disk on floured surface to 13" round. Transfer to 9" glass pie dish. Trim edges, leaving a 1" overhang. Spoon filling into crust and sprinkle with topping. Brush edge of crust with water.
- Roll out dough square on floured surface to a 12" square. Using pastry wheel or knife, cut square into ten 3/4" strips. Twist 1 strip 4 times and lay strip across pie. Repeat with 4 more strips, spacing equally. Twist a strip and lay diagonally across the other strips. Repeat with remaining strips. Trim strips to align with edge of crust. Fold the crust overhang over ends of strips; crimp or press to seal. Brush edge and strips lightly with cream.
- Bake pie until crust is golden and topping is brown, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool. Enjoy - then write me and tell me you loved it!