From "The Practical Encylcopedia of Baking". The original recipe is made with tart apples, but I prefer red delicious.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- add 4-5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- add 3/4 cup shortening
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 egg
- add 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- add 2 cups flour
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/2 cup sugar
- add 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Combine flour and salt, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add enough water a tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half, roll out one half and put in a 9 inch pie pan, roll out other half and cut into leaf shapes (Make small leaves for the edges and large leaves for the center).
- Combine the filling ingredients except for the butter and egg, fill the pie, and dot with the butter.
- Arrange the leaves on top, and brush with the egg.
- Bake 10 minutes, reduce temp to 350F and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool pie completely in pan.