This recipe was adapted from The Gourmet Slow Cooker cookbook, hence the name. If cooked for 4 hours using bone-in chicken breasts, the chicken is tender, moist and on the bone. Serve this over a bed of saffron rice for a wonderful, flavorful meal.
- add 1-2 clove garlic
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 1 cup chicken stock
- add 2 whole chicken breasts
- add 2 inches fresh ginger
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- add 2 yellow onions
- add 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- add 2 cups dried apricots
- add 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- add 1 cinnamon stick
- add 2 tablespoons water
- In a spice mill or coffee grinder, grind the cinnamon to a fine powder.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add the oil and when warm stir in sliced onions.
- Saute onions, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned.
- Add the garlic and grated ginger and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, ground cardamom, tomtoes, chicken stock and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in the crockpot and pour the onion mixture over.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- The last 30 minutes of cooking, add the apricots and saffron water.
- Finish cooking and serve immediately on top of saffron rice.