This is a typical Venezuelan dish (I'm venezuelan), and I like to make it a lot since now I live in spain. Everyone who has tried it loves them, so I thought I'd share it with everyone at recipezaar.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 egg yolk
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 2 cups coarseley ground cornflour
- add oil (for deep frying)
- add grated strong cheese
- add 3 cups water
- Mix the water and the egg yolk.
- In a large bowl mix the flour and the egg/water mixture.
- Mix and kneed the dough for about 5 minutes until it is compact.
- Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a deep fryer to 170º C, or fill a frying pan with lots of oil and heat.
- Take a small ball of the dough, the size of an egg and mold into a flat circle, about 1 cm thick.
- Fry until golden brown, turning regularly.
- Turn out onto crumpled absorbent paper and leave to cool slightley.
- Split them open (Lilke a Pita Bread) and fill with cheese, ham, butter, honey or whatever you wish (If there is too much"fluff" inside you can remove it with a spoon, leaving only the outer shell).
- Serve inmediatley, they dont keep and dont re-heat.