Servs: 6 Prep:
Though these bruschetta are a terrific first course for almost any meal. They'd actually make a great lunch as well—just think of them as open-faced sandwiches.<P> Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min
- add 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- add 1 small red onion, chopped
- add 1 (2-oz) piece prosciutto or ham
- add 1 (10-oz) package frozen peas, thawed
- add 2 scallions (greens only),coarsely chopped
- add 1/4 cup parmesan shavings
- add 6 (1/3-inch-thick) slices from a round country loaf
- add 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- add 2 (6 1/2-oz) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread in 1 layer on a baking sheet, then brush tops with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden brown and transfer to a rack.
- Cut artichokes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices and cut prosciutto into matchsticks. Cook artichokes and prosciutto in 3 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring, until artichokes are golden, about 4 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add peas and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in scallions, mint, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture over toasts. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and top with parmesan.