Servs: 10 Prep: Cook:
"Last spring we visited old friends who serve this egg dish for Sunday breakfast before church. I thought it was wonderful and full of flavor. Besides, it's easy to make ahead. I use fresh asparagus and serve it with muffins and fresh fruit. --Betty Jacques, Hemet, California"
- add 6 eggs
- add 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- add 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- add 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- add 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- add 1 (1 pound) loaf sliced bread, crusts removed
- add 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- add 3 cups milk
- In a saucepan, cover asparagus with water; cover and cook until just tender but still firm. Drain and set aside. Lightly brush butter over one side of bread slices. Place half of the bread, buttered side up, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Layer with asparagus and ham. Cover with remaining bread, buttered side up. In a bowl, lightly beat eggs; add milk, onion, salt and mustard; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.