My mother used to make these years ago and kept warm on a warming tray (the kind that is plugged into the wall)and my dh really liked them, so I was glad when I came across this recipe for them in an old Bon Appetit (April 1982)
- add 1 tablespoon paprika
- add 1 tablespoon salt
- add 21 sea scallops
- add 1 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1 cup flour
- add 1 egg
- add 7 slices bacon
- add 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- add 1 cup breadcrumbs
- add 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Grease a pie dish and set aside.
- In a pie dish combine first 5 ingredients (flour - garlic powder).
- In a seperate pie dish or bowl mix egg and milk together.
- In a third pie dish place bread crumbs.
- If set up assembly line fashion - this makes a really easy process to get the scallops ready - I use disposable pie tins for this (that come with frozen prepared pie crusts).
- Roll scallops in flour mixture and then dip in milk/egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Wrap each scallops with bacon, securing with toothpick and then transfer to prepared greased pie dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm (see description above for my mother's method) with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.