(Also known as Tuscan Portobello Melt). This winning recipe (combined with Smokin'Fire Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Recipe #193721) was Betty Fraser's entry for the Top Chef episode where the competitors had to present a "comfort food". The soup and sandwich combo will become a featured item on TGI Friday's menu. The judges raved about then and I know why. Delicious!
- add salt and pepper
- add 1 1/4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- add 1 pint grape tomatoes
- add 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- add 3 large portobello mushroom caps
- add 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 1 large red onion
- add 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- add 1 1/4 cups grated provolone cheese
- add 1/4 cup white wine
- add 10 slices sourdough bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and red onion. Cook over medium heat until onions are beginning to soften. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a roasting dish.
- In the same skillet, combine tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are beginning to soften. Transfer to roasting dish with onions.
- In a medium bowl, gently toss Portobello mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Transfer to roasting dish with other ingredients. Add white wine.
- Place roasting dish in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter and thyme springs. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and discard thyme.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter. Place slices buttered side down on a clean surface. Top half of the slices with 1/4 cup provolone cheese and 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese. Top cheese with mushroom mixture, dividing evenly between the slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Heat a griddle (or frying pan) to medium high heat. Place sandwiches on griddle to brown. Flip after 2 minutes to brown other side and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- To serve: Cut in half and serve with a cup of soup.