These are really tasty and I love that they are baked in the oven rather than pan-fried. I found this recipe in Cooking light originally and have made them several times with great success. They freeze well after cooking - I just thaw them and add them to simmering sauce for a great spaghetti dinner on busy nights.
- add 1/4 teaspoon low sodium salt
- add 3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- add 1/4 cup unseasoned tomato sauce
- add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- add 2 cloves garlic
- add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- add 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- add 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- add 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (a must - dried will not do in this)
- add 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray a broiler pan with broiling rack well with nonstick spray (I line the bottom part with foil and then spray).
- Combine all ingredients well.
- Form into 30 meatballs using a 1 1/2" diameter scoop (or use your hands).
- Set on sprayed broiler rack in prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Add these meatballs to your favorite sauce and serve over pasta or in a hoagie roll with sauce& cheese to make a great sandwich.