When I was growing up, my mother would always make banana bread and give it to our neighbors or people just moving to town. I remember many a day, wrapping up banana bread in saran-wrap or foil to take to someone. I hope to continue the tradition on my own.
- add 1/2 cup shortening or 1/3 cup oil
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 1/4 cup water
- add 1-2 beaten eggs, optional
- add 2-3 bananas, mashed
- add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, optional
- add 2 cups flour
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, or nutmeg
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine shortening, sugar, and water. Then add eggs, bananas, and lemon juice.
- Combine separately and add flour, salt, baking soda, spices, and vanilla.
- Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 375 F for 45-60 minutes.