Servs: 6 Makes: 1 to 4 loafs Prep: Cook:
This recipe was passed down from my grandmother to my mother, and then me. From what I was told, it was something my grandmother made as an inexpensive treat for my mother and her 5 brother's and sisters. Not expensive to make, but very, VERY good!!
- add 1 cup Bananas
- add 1 Egg
- add 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- add 1/4 cup Milk
- add 1 1/2 cups All Purpose flour
- add 1 tsp Vanilla
- add 1 tsp Baking Soda
- add a dash of salt
- add 1/2 cup Crisco shortening (use butter flavored shortening for a butter flavor)
- add 1 cup Pecans (optional)
- In one mixing bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher. In a separate bowl, mix sugar and shortening until creamy. Then beat in egg. Then add vanilla, salt, baking soda, bananas, and milk. Mix until smooth. Beat in flour and pecans (optional).
- Grease and then flour loaf pans (use glass, dark, nonstick, or mini loaf pans).
- ALT: Or use cupcake cups and/or muffin pan for cupcakes or muffins. Spray cupcake cups or muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into loaf pans, cupcake cups, or muffin pan until they are just over halfway to the top. This allows for the bread to rise and not overflow.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 50 minutes (20 to 35 minutes for cupcakes or muffins).
- Test with toothpick inserted in middle that it comes out clean.