This from scratch banana pudding recipe is from a cookbook called Dining with Pioneers. This book has been well used in my house, so much so that most of the recipes I have transfered to recipe cards because the pages and book itself have become tattered with use.
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 3 egg yolks
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 6 bananas
- add 3/4 cup sugar
- add 12 ounces vanilla wafers
- add 2 cups milk
- add 2 tablespoons flour
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan; Stir in milk and cook over medium heat until thick. (Be careful not to scortch pan).
- Beat egg yolks, temper egg yolks by adding two tbsp of hot mixture to yolks then yolks to hot mixture.
- Cook for 5 minutes; remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- In a 9x13 pan place a single layer of vanilla wafers on the bottom of the dish and up the sides.
- Place banana slices over cookies, top with pudding and chill in refrigerator.
- Before serving top with real whip cream. (Some people prefer meringue or cool whip which is fine but I think a 1/2 pt of heavy whip cream beat with 2 tbsp of sugar is the icing on the pudding).