This is the perfect stew to make on a cold winter's day! Your house will smell amazing when this simmers on your stove!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 3 large carrots
- add 2 potatoes
- add 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- add 2 cloves garlic
- add 1/2 lb small whole fresh mushrooms
- add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- add 1 teaspoon black pepper
- add 2 1/2 lbs lean beef chuck
- add 1 cup Burgundy wine or dry red wine
- add 1 (10 ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- add 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Add beef and toss to coat.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add half of the beef and cook 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer beef to bowl.
- Repeat with remaining beef, then return the already browned beef to the pot.
- Stir in broth, wine, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and onions.
- Cover and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine water and flour; gradually stir into the stew.
- Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until stew is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.