This recipe came from my favorite cookbook. It's called Step by Step cooking; Italian, Mexican and Chinese recipes. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add vegetable oil
- add 12 flour tortillas (8 in.)
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- add 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- add 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add 1/2 cup finely chopped white onions
- add 6 ounces chorizo sausage
- Remove casing from chorizo. Heat large skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium. Brown chorizo 6 to 8 minute.
- Add beef. brown 6 to 8 minute
- Add onion, garlic, and cumin. Cook 4 minute or until onion is soft. Discard fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minute.
- Uncover, increase heat to med. Cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Warm tortillas.
- Place 1/4 cup meat mixture on bottom half of 1 tortilla. Sprinkle with 1 tbs. cheese. Roll up folding the sides inches Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat 1 inches oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Fry 2 or 3 chimichangas at a time for 2 or 3 minute until golden brown on all sides.