Servs: 4 Prep: Cook:
Directions In a pie plate, combine flour, salt, and black pepper. Lightly coat both sides of the meat with the seasoned flour: shake off any excess. Reserve the remaining seasoned flour to use in the gravy later. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the meat and cook over high heat, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes per side,
- add What you need
- add 450g John Penny braising steak, cubed
- add 75g streaky bacon, chopped
- add 300g onions, chopped
- add 2 tbsp oil
- add 2 tomatoes, chopped
- add 1 tbsp tomato paste
- add salt
- add 1 tbsp flour
- add 150ml red wine
- add 240ml beef stock
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 4 white peppercorns
- add 100g button mushrooms, halved
- add 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- add 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- add 1 carrot sliced
- add 2 potatoes cubed
- add 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- How to cook
- Fry the bacon in a casserole until the fat begins to run. Add the beef and brown on all sides then add the onions and oil and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and salt and stir well. Sprinkle over the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes then add 100ml of the wine, stock, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the mushrooms, capsicum, carrot and potatoes to the casserole and simmer, covered for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and the rest of the red wine, raise the heat and cook for 10 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot.