I used to make this on the stove over very low heat, but since I got a crockpot, I use that. This is good served over white or brown rice.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- add 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- add 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- add 2 tablespoons raisins
- add salt and pepper
- add 3 lbs lean stewing beef
- add 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- add 1/2 cup red table wine
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1 piece cinnamon
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 2 1/2 lbs white onions
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Place butter in the bottom of a large crockpot.
- Add the meat and turn to coat with butter.
- Arrange the onions over the meat.
- Mix the tomato paste through the garlic, and pour over the meat and onions, but do not stir.
- Add the bay leaf through the raisins; do not stir.
- Simmer on low 8-10 hours.
- At serving time, remove the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves and stir the stifado gently to blend.