If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add two 3 3/4-ounce cans <A HREF="/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/entry?id=1543">brisling</A> sardines
- add 4 cups vegetable oil
- add 1 lime
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1/2 cup beer (not dark)
- In a bowl whisk beer and salt into flour until smooth. Drain sardines and pat dry. Cut lime into 8 wedges.
- In a 3-quart saucepan heat oil over moderately high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F. Working in batches of about 8 and holding sardines at head end to avoid breaking, dredge fish in batter to coat completely, dragging lightly against side of bowl to remove excess, and fry, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer sardines as fried to paper towels to drain. Fry lime wedges in oil until they begin to turn golden, about 30 seconds, and transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve sardines with lime.