If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add <b>For lemon dipping sauce</b><br> 1/2 cup mayonnaise<br> 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice<br> 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh <a href ="/recipes/recipe_views/views/106139">lemon zest</a><br> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper<p> <b>For asparagus</b><br> 1
- Make dipping sauce:
- Stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, and pepper in a small bowl. Chill, covered, until ready to use.
- Make batter and fry asparagus:
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk together flour, salt, zest, and pepper in a bowl until combined, then add beer, whisking until smooth.
- Heat 3 inches oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until it registers 375°F on thermometer.
- Submerge asparagus spears in batter to coat. Working in batches of 10, drag 1 at a time gently against rim to remove excess batter, then transfer to oil and fry, stirring gently to keep asparagus from sticking together, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer as fried with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Return oil to 375°F between batches. Serve with lemon dipping sauce.
- Cooks' note:
- Asparagus can be kept warm in oven up to 30 minutes.