A classic buttermilk pie topped with strawberry sauce. Adapted from the May/June 2005 edition of the magazine 'Home Cooking'.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- add 3 eggs
- add 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- add 1 cup buttermilk
- add 8 whole fresh strawberries
- add 2 cups strawberries
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1 medium lemon, zest of
- add 1 3/4 cups sugar
- add 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time and beat until well-blended.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon zest.Mix well, pour into the pastry shell and bake for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the custard sets.
- Cool on a wire rack and chill before serving.
- Serving: In a blender or food processor, puree the berries with the confectioners' sugar, top each pie slice with the berry sauce and one whole strawberry.