I can't believe no one has posted this original, oh-so-simple recipe. Although I have tried many deviled egg recipes that I loved, and have awarded 5 stars to at least one here, my husband always demands at least one batch of "the old way." This is from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Although I nearly always use mayonnaise, Miracle Whip and half-and-half are acceptable substitutes in a pinch.
- add 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (dry)
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- add 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- add 6 hard-boiled eggs
- Cut eggs lengthwise in half, gently remove yolks, and place whites on a serving platter.
- Mash yolks well with a fork.
- Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Fill whites with egg yolk mixture.
- Can be refrigerated up to 24 hours.