If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add <b>For cakes</b><br> 6 oz bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped<br> 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter<br> 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar<br> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla <br> 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour<br> Rounded 1/4 teasp
- Make cakes:
- Preheat oven to 375°F and generously butter muffin cups.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove bowl from heat and add brown sugar and vanilla, whisking until smooth. Add flour and salt, whisking until just combined, then add eggs 1 at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering, 12 to 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto a rack and cool 5 minutes.
- Make espresso cream while cakes cool:
- Beat cream with espresso powder and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks.
- Serve 6 cakes topped with cream.
- Cooks' notes:
- Chocolate butter mixture can be melted in a glass bowl in a microwave at 50 percent power 4 to 5 minutes. Stir until smooth before adding brown sugar and vanilla.
- If you can't find instant-espresso powder for the cream, you can substitute 2 teaspoons instant-coffee granules or powder. Whisk instant coffee into cream and let stand 5 minutes (to dissolve) before beating.