It's blackberry season in Seattle and this is one of our favorites. It's quick, easy and a few blackberries go a long way.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- add 2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 1 tablespoon butter
- add 1 cup flour
- add 1/2 cup milk
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 3/4 cup boiling water
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 pint blackberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Spread batter in greased 9 inch deep dish glass pie plate (or 10 x 6 baking dish).
- Scatter blackberries over the batter and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Pour boiling water over berries, place dish in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- I have also substituted Italian prune plums, peaches and raspberries for the blackberries- all are good!