My mom found this "contest winning recipe" in the local newspaper and I've enjoyed this recipe since. It's very comforting and kid-friendly the way the fried onions blend with the creamy filling. It's something I make for the flavor and not because it is so easy!
- add seasoned pepper
- add 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- add 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- add 2 cups chopped broccoli
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add 2 Italian tomatoes
- add 1 cup milk
- add 1 (10 ounce) can durkee French fried onion rings (or 1 1/2 cups)
- add 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen potato slices or tater tots
- add 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Line an 8 x 12 casserole (or two smaller Corning Ware casseroles), or 7 x 11 pan with the potato rounds, on the bottom and sides (I use a little more ingredients, doubling the soup and make a heaping 9x 13).
- Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Brown beef.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, HALF the onion rings, and add to the cooked ground beef and spreaad on top of cooked Tater Tots.
- Mix soup, milk, half the cheese and seasonings and pour over beef mixture.
- Fill casserole dish and bake covered (or it will dry out) at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and add rest of cheese and dried onions.
- Let rest couple minutes for the cheese to melt.