These muffins won 2nd place in a King Arthur Flour contest. I've been making them since my kids were babies and have brought them to many functions. The yogurt makes them fluffy and the almond flavoring gives them a special bakery flavor. You can substitute pureed cottage cheese for the ricotta.
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- add 3 teaspoons baking powder
- add 1/3 cup sugar
- add 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- add 2-3 tablespoons sugar (depending on sweetness of the berries)
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1 cup blueberries (I like canned/frozen wild blueberries)
- add 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- add 2 eggs
- add 1/4 cup melted butter
- add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease 8-10 muffins tins (I always make mini muffins).
- In a large bowl combine with a wire whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended.
- In a medium-sized bowl beat together the almond extact,vanilla extract, melted butter, ricotta cheese, and eggs.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Batter wil be soft and lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes.