This recipe is one of our kids' favorite sauces, and one that has enough flavor to please the adults in the house as well. This meat sauce is wonderful with short pastas, especially gemelli.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 medium onion
- add 2 tablespoons bacon
- add 1/2 cup milk
- add 1 stalk celery
- add 1 carrot
- add 4 tablespoons olive oil
- add salt and pepper
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 12 ounces lean ground beef
- add 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- add 2/3 cup red wine
- add pasta, cooked and drained (6 servings)
- add 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion, and cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cook 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the beef and crumble it into the vegetables with a fork.
- Stir until the meat loses its red color.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, raise the heat slightly, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the herbs.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occassionally.
- Serve over pasta.