This delicious side dish is very easy to make. It practically cooks itself! Because these beans are so good, I usually make a double batch. The recipe comes from household advice columnist, Heloise. Her mother also had a newspaper column where this recipe was first published over forty years ago.
- add 1 small onion
- add 3 slices bacon
- add 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans
- add 2 tablespoons ketchup
- add 1 tablespoon vinegar
- add 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Dice bacon and onion.
- Fry bacon; when nearly done, add onion to pan and saute until bacon is cooked; pour off most of the fat.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan; cover and simmer, stirring every once in awhile, on low heat for 1 to 2 hours ~ The beans will thicken as they cook.