If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- add 3/4 cup milk
- add 1 1/2 cups milk
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1/3 cup shortening
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 1 cup white sugar
- add 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 2 tablespoons hot water
- add 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- add 2 eggs yolk
- add 1 egg
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F ( 175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch round cake pan.
- 2. Beat the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt 3/4 cup milk, shortening, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 minutes. Beat on high speed, scarping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- 3.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- 4.To Make The Cream Filling: In a 2 quart saucepan, mix 1/3 cup of the sugar, then cornstarch and salt. Stir in the milk gradually and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir at least 1/2 of the mixture slowly into the egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to the saucepan and boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the2 teaspoons vanilla let cook to room temperature.
- 5. To Make Chocolate Glaze: Heat rhe chocolate and butter or margarine over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the confectioner's sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the water, one teaspoon at a time, until glaze is of desired consistency.
- 6. To Assemble the cake: Split the cooled cake in half to make 2 thin layers. Fill the layers with the filling.
- Then spread the chocolate glaze over the top. Refrigerate any leftover cake.