If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 6 small Italian eggplants (2 lb total)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- add 2 medium onions, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- add 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- add 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- add 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- add 1/3 cup water
- add 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- add 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped, plus 1 1/2 cups drained chopped tomatoes from <a href ="/recipes/recipe_views/views/105228">stuffed tomatoes</a>
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise and score flesh 1/2 inch deep in a crosshatch pattern to make 1-inch squares (do not cut through skin). Arrange eggplant halves, cut sides up, in a large roasting pan and season with salt.
- Cook onions in 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in tomatoes, parsley, basil, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons sugar, and salt.
- Divide topping among eggplant halves, mounding in centers. Stir together water, remaining 1/4 cup oil, and remaining tablespoon sugar until sugar is dissolved, then add to roasting pan. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake in middle of oven, basting eggplants every 15 minutes with cooking liquid, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until eggplants are tender (they will collapse and flatten slightly) and cooking liquid is reduced and beginning to caramelize, about
- 40 minutes more. Serve hot or at room temperature, drizzled with pan juices.
- Cooks' note:
- Braised eggplant may be made 1 day ahead, then cooled completely before being chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.