Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"'I love to make this hearty sandwich when we have company for the weekend,' writes Amy McCuan of Oakley, California. 'I serve it with juice and fresh fruit.' At 84¢ a serving, the loaf is priced right. 'If you like, add sliced mushrooms and olives,' Amy suggests."
- add 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- add 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- add 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- add 6 eggs, beaten
- add 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- add 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 (1 pound) round French bread loaf
- add 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, divided
- add 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, salt and pepper. Melt butter in a skillet; add eggs. Cook and stir until set; set aside. Cut the top fourth off loaf of bread. Carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Set top aside.
- In bottom of bread, place a fourth of the ham. Layer with half of the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese, red pepper, scrambled eggs and tomato slices. Top with the remaining cheese and ham. Gently press the layers together. Replace bread top and wrap tightly in foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.