A great soup, one of the deli classics.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 cup chopped celery
- add 1-2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- add 2 1/2 cups milk
- add 2 cups chopped broccoli
- add 1 cup chicken broth
- add 1/4 cup flour
- add 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- add 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- add 1/4 cup onions
- add 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- Saute onion and celery in butter in saucepan over medium heat until tender.
- Add flour, and salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Add broth and milk (all at once), stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Add cooked broccoli (I like to steam mine then cool in cold water to preserve color), stirring until all is heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth (place back on heat briefly if necessary).