If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- add 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- add 1/4 cup melted butter
- add 1/4 cup flour
- add 2 cups half-and-half
- add 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- add 1/2 pound fresh broccoli
- add 1 cup carrots, julienned
- add salt and pepper to taste
- add 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the Chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now. Pour in batches into blender and puree. Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.