Souffle roll stuffed with broccoli-cheese mixture and topped with creamy cheese sauce. I could eat this at least once a week it's so delicious, and it's so elegant looking! Even people who claim to hate anything vegetarian this this is a superb dish. This comes from "Sunset Vegetarian Cooking."
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 3/4 cup flour
- add 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- add 3 cups milk
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or longhorn cheese
- add 1/2 cup milk
- add 6 tablespoons margarine
- add 1 lb broccoli
- Steam broccoli.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Line bottom of greased jelly roll pan with foil.Grease and lightly flour foil.Set pan aside.
- Melt butter in 3 quart pan over medium heat.Stir in flour, mustard, and salt.Cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Gradually pour in 3 cups milk and continue cooking and stirring until sauce is smooth and thickened (8-10 min.).
- Measure out 1 cup of sauce and set aside.
- Separate eggs.Beat yolks lightly and gradually beat in all but 1 cup reserved sauce.Beat egg whites until short, stiff, moist peaks form.Fold into egg yolks mixture.Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until soufflé is golden brown and center springs back when lightly touched.
- Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, combine 1 cup reserved sauce and 1/2 cup milk.Stir in cheese and cook, stirring until cheese is melted.Sprinkle with more mustard and salt.
- Measure out 1 cup of cheese sauce and combine with broccoli.
- When soufflé is done, immediately invert onto clean towel.Starting at one narrow end, spread broccoli mixture over 3/4 of soufflé.Using towel for support, roll up soufflé to enclose filling.Place, seam side down, on serving platter.(If not serving immediately, place in 200 oven for up to 30 min.)Reheat remaining cheese sauce over low heat and pour over roll.