A favorite of my ex-MIL's. The cake lives on!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- add 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- add 3/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- add 2 large eggs
- add 1/2 cup milk
- add 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- add 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- add 1 cup granulated sugar
- add 3/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Into a bowl sift together the flour, 1/3 cup of the cocoa powder, the baking powder, and the salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, the granulated sugar, the butter, the milk, and the vanilla, add the flour mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and spread the batter evenly in an ungreased 8-inch-square baking pan.
- In a bowl whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup cocoa powder, the brown sugar, and the water, pour the mixture over the batter, and bake the cake in the middle of the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a tester comes out with crumbs adhering to it.
- Serve the cake hot with the ice cream, if desired (I always desire ice cream with mine).