Delicious and SO SIMPLE to make! This is the perfect make-ahead dish. Great for Christmas morning, or for when you have guests. (Prep time does not include the overnight refrigeration process)
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 6 eggs
- add bacon or sausage or shrimp or crab (or all four!)
- add 2 cups milk
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- add 8 slices bread
- add cracked black pepper
- add 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- add 1/4 cup melted butter
- Grease a 3 litre casserole dish or a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Put cubed bread and shredded cheese in after lightly tossing together.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt and dry mustard together.
- Pour mixture over bread and cheese in casserole dish.
- Add a bit of ground black pepper to the top.
- Refrigerate overnight, covered with plastic wrap.
- Before baking, pour 1/4 cup melted butter over the top, add bacon, shrimp, sausage, crab-- anything that sounds good.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Can also be served cold.
- Delicious with a side spinach salad.