Servs: 5 Prep: Cook:
This was inspired by a Cooking Light 10/07 recipe however I altered it by combining it with another recipe (vamomma's). I basically adjusted it use what I had on hand. Both original recipes called for lima beans but I don't much care for them and didn't have them so I didn't use them. Next time I'll add potatoes per vamomma's recipe.
- add Cooking Spray
- add 1 c. chopped yellow onion
- add 3/4 c. chopped celery
- add Chicken pieces ? I used 2 thighs and 1 breast, bone-in
- add 2-3 c. water/broth to cover
- add 1 t. salt
- add 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- add Dash cayenne pepper
- add 3 carrots diced
- add 1 t. dried thyme
- add ? t. Tabasco
- add Black pepper to taste
- add Garlic powder to taste
- add Approx. 10 oz frozen corn, thawed
- add 3 slices stale bread.
- 1. In a Dutch oven, slowly bring the chicken and water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is tender, skimming the surface as foam rises.
- 2. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard skin and bones. Shred chicken and return to broth.
- 3. Add the vegetables, onions, beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add bread, and simmer uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.