A recipe adapted from Ernesto Navarro of the El Nuevo Mexico Cafe in Los Angeles.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 4 green onions
- add 6 canned green chilies
- add 1 jalapeno, chopped fine (optional)
- add 4 medium tomatoes
- add 1 cup water
- add pepper
- add 1 medium onion
- add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- add 1 quart milk
- add 1/4 lb butter
- add 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- add 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- Cook onions, jalapeno, and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender.
- Do not scorch or overcook.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, then stir in chile strips and cilantro.
- Add water and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In another large saucepan heat milk, cheese, and butter over medium heat, being careful not to scorch, just until cheese is melted.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a high simmer.
- Do not boil.