Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
Delicately textured with soft spices, toasted pecans and caramelized apples, each bite evokes warm fall flavors.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- add Cinnamon streusel
- add 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- add Apple filling and topping
- add 1/4 cup granulated sugar \1 large granny smith apple peeled cored and cut into 3/8" dice
- add 1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise seeds scraped out
- add Coffee Cake Batter
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1 teaspoon baking powdered
- add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1/8 teaspoon salt
- add Pinch ground ginger
- add Pinch ground cloves
- add 1/3 cup plain whole yogurt
- add 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- add 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- add 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- add 1 large egg
- add 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9X1 1/2 inch round baking pan and set aside
- Spread the pecans on a baking sheet or a heavy roll pan and toast until lightly browned about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make the streusel topping. In a medium bowl combine the light brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the butter until well combined and mix in half the pecans. Set aside
- Make the apple filling and topping. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan cook the sugar over moderately low heat. Without stirring shake the pan to melt sugar evenly until melted and dark golden. Remove saucepan from heat and carefully add apples and vanilla bean pod seeds (mixture will vigorously steam and caramel will harden) Cook mixture over moderate heat. Shaking pan and stirring occasionally until caramel is dissolved liquid has evaporated and apples are tender but still hold their shape, about 10 to 15 minutes. Discard vanilla bean pod. Spread the apples on a sheet pan to cool.
- Make coffee cake batter: in a large bowl whisk together the flour baking powder baking soda cinnamon salt ginger and cloves. In another medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, applesauce light brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg and butter until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and with a large spatula mix until well combined. Fold in half the cooled apple filling and the remaining pecans and pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the streusel and top with the remaining apple filling. Sprinkle wit the remaining streusel. Bake until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean about 25 to 30 minutes, let cool 20 minutes and cut into eight wedges. Serve warm at room temperature.