This dish is best prepared a day in advance to allow the ingredients to soak in the marinade overnight.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 medium eggplant
- add 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can baby corn
- add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (to taste)
- add 10 ounces mushrooms
- add 2 small zucchini
- add 4 barbecue skewers
- add 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (medium)
- add 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- add 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- add 1 medium red pepper
- add 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- add 3 tablespoons soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
- add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Drain the tofu, carefully squeezing out excess water,and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut tofu into one-inch squares.
- Set aside.Cuteggplant lengthwise in half, then cut each half into approximately three strips.
- Cut strips crosswise into one-inch cubes.
- Slice zucchini into half-inch thickslices.
- Cut red pepper in half, removing stem and seeds, and cut each half intoone-inch squares.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a moist paper towel and removestems.
- Thread tofu and vegetables on to barbecue skewers in alternating colorcombinations: For example, first a piece of eggplant, then a slice of tofu, then zucchini, then red pepper, baby corn and mushrooms.
- Continue in this way untilall skewers are full.
- Make the marinade by putting all ingredients in ablender, and blend on high speed for about one minute until mixed.
- Alternatively, put all ingredients in a glass jar, cover tightly with the lidand shake well until mixed.
- Lay the kebabs in a long, shallow baking pan or ona non-metal tray, making sure they lie flat. Evenly pour the marinade over thekebabs, turning them once so that the tofu and vegetables are coated.
- Refrigerate the kebabs for three to eight hours, occasionally spooning themarinade over them.
- Broil or grill the kebabs at 450 F for 15-20 minutes, or on the grill, until the vegetables are browned.
- SuggestionsThis meal can be served over cooked, brown rice. Amounts can easily be doubled to make four servings.